We recently came across a game titled ‘Minaurs’ that was launched on 29th June, 2018 on Steam platform and got in touch with the developer of this interesting game. Here is our interview with the developer of Minaurs game where they talk about this game along with some interesting aspects of game development:
1. Tell us a bit about your game and what was it that inspired you to make this game?
Minaurs is a complex game with a blend of puzzles, RPG elements and pure arcade action. As you progress in the game, you gain more control over your character and game becomes more and more action oriented. Game offers dynamicaly created levels that bring you to unexpected challenges. Even a day time and weather conditions may affect your gameplay.
Every game is unique to the player due to “random with conditions” creation algorithm. Everything you do is recorded and have consequences. As a kids, we were always creating simple table games and playing video games. As time passed, we have gained progress in programming and computer graphics. About six years ago we have realized, that we have enough skills and enthusiasm to try to design a video game. So we started working on our own game concept.
2. Naming a game is almost always one of the most difficult tasks since that’s what people identify with. Was this name the first choice for the name? If not then what were some other options you were looking at?
We were looking for an unique name, that would best fit to the character and Nation we have created. Minor like a small one. Minotaur like a Greek mythical beast living in a labyrinth. And finally was involved the term mining that describes basic gameplay.
3. What sort of thought process went behind the artwork of this game?
We wanted to design something different instead of sipmle vector shape graphics and bring some Nature with its beauty , randomness and smart detail. Our main goal was to create lush living world. All parts of the game are drawn pixel by pixel with lot of enthusiasm for detail. We have both (Me and my brother) studied architecture on Academy of arts, Architecture & Design in Prague, so we wanted to use the best of our drawing abilities.
4. What was the major challenge in developing this game?
Major challenge for us was to find an original game concept and balanced gameplay. We have spent a lot of time by internal testing of the game as there are dozens of possible interactions amongst player and the environment. Now we find biggest challenge to make game visible to the audience.
5. Any in-game secrets that could be easter eggs for players to discover?
As subtitle says, this game is about discoveries. There are dozens of unique encounters and interactions in the game. Its up to you if want to collect them all.
6. Why do you consider Steam as a platform for your game and is there any other platform you look forward to getting your game onto?
Steam is specific by tight connection between game developers and community. Thats something we admire. Game is also available on Google play and App store.
7. How much time did it take to get this game developed and what can players expect in updates for this game?
First idea came in 2013. In 2015 we have released game on Google play. After a year of collecting player reactions we have decided to start works on major update. We have improved every aspect of the game. In July 2016 game was green-lit by community on Steam. Now the game is released on Steam , App store and Google play. In future updates we want at first to add Chinese, Japan and Korean localization. After that we are planning to enlarge game world and continue Minaurs story.
8. What are your future plans as a game developer?
Develop and improve Minaurs. We are also preparing a new project, but its in early phase to be more specific. We are a small studio so it depends on how Minaurs will be accepted by players.
9. How long have you been developing games and what is the most enjoyable aspect of game development according to you?
As we mentioned above, we have been working on Minaurs for last 5 years. It is really great to have opportunity to design your own worlds and bring them to life.
10. Have you developed the game solo or you have a team working with you?
Our studio 3DA Interactive consists of me and my brother Adam Havlík. We have created all game content by ourselves. 3DA Interactive is a independent video game developing studio founded in 2013 and headquartered in Prague, Czech republic
11. What are your personal favorite games?
UFO: Enemy Unknown, Sid Meier’s Alpha Centauri, Another world and its sequence Flashback, Fallout 1,2 and finally Entropia universe.
Gobliins trilogy, Heroes of Might and Magic, Fallout 1,2 and finally Transport tycoon.
12. Any message for our readers?
Give Minaurs a try! We have put a lot of effort in it to bring something different. Hope you will like it!