We recently came across a game titled ‘Dr. Frank’s Build a Boyfriend’ that was launched on 31st May, 2018 on Steam platform and got in touch with the developer of this interesting game. Here is our interview with the developer of Dr. Frank’s Build a Boyfriend game where they talk about this game along with some interesting aspects of game development:
1. Tell us a bit about your game Dr. Frank’s Build a Boyfriend and what was it that inspired you to make this game?
2. Naming a game is almost always one of the most difficult tasks since that’s what people identify it with. Was this name the first choice for the name? If not then what were some other options you were looking at?
This was actually the first name I thought of! I knew I wanted the game to be a comedy, and for some reason, I always thought the Build-A-Bear company name to sound kind of silly, so I adapted it from that.
3. What sort of thought process went behind the artwork of this game?
I tried using a green and purple color scheme for a lot of the UI elements, since I wanted it to be a kind of goofy Halloween game and thought it fit the macabre theme. Dr. Frank was supposed to be an angry goofy guy, so I have him big poofy pink hair to make him look a little more silly, haha.
4. What was the major challenge in developing this game?
Programming in the point and click elements and getting the inventory code to cooperate in renpy proved to be the hardest part of the game by far, and delayed what I had estimated a 3 month dev cycle into a year.
5. Any in-game secrets that could be easter eggs for players to discover?
6. Why do you consider Steam as a platform for your game and is there any other platform you look forward to get your game onto?
Steam has such a large audience, it was definitely a platform I’ve always dreamed of having one of my games on, so I’m very excited!
7. How much time did it take to get this game developed and what can players expect in updates for this game?
I’m not planning any updates, but there might be if enough bugs are found, haha. And the game took a year to develop!
8. What are your future plans as a game developer?
I would like to continue making story based games and I’m currently learning C# and Unity to hopefully make more traditional point and click adventure games in the future.
9. How long have you been developing games and what is the most enjoyable aspect of game development according to you?
I’ve been making games for 5 years and my favorite part of any game is coming up with the story, :D.
10. What are your personal favourite games?
I’m a big fan of Mother 3, Fire Emblem, Final Fantasy 9, and Harvest Moon 64!
11. Have you developed the game solo or you have a team working with you?
I developed Dr. Frank solo!
12. Any message for our readers?
I hope you have fun designing your very own boyfriends!