We recently came across a game titled Almost Alive that was launched on 17th July, 2018 on Steam platform and got in touch with the developer of this interesting game. Here is our interview with the developer of Almost Alive game where they talk about this game along with some interesting aspects of game development:
1. Tell us a bit about your game and what was it that inspired you to make this game?
I am an artist and a madman with a passion for creating new worlds with new rules. I think video games deserve to be better products with higher development standards. Video games are a perfect merge of randomness (fate for the believers) and choices made by the player, which is potentially what everyone experiences during his whole life. Therefor video games have the potential to fully be art pieces.
Creating games is one of the most beautiful art forms while being intellectually challenging, they are an awesome tool for making people think. So I learnt to draw, animate, code, etc…. Jagged Alliance 2, Fallout 1 and 2 are my main inspiration. It was a dream to see a tactical game like Ja2 in a post apocalyptic world with a good real time combat system. And that dream might be about to get real! I also love smart indie games. You might have seen me in This was of mine trailer. I was a consultant for 11bits studio and provided art for that awesome game. I want to surprise you and deliver a deep message while you have fun playing my game.
2. Naming a game is almost always one of the most difficult tasks since that’s what people identify it with. Was this name the first choice for the name? If not then what were some other options you were looking at?
3. What sort of thought process went behind the artwork of this game?
4. What was the major challenge in developing this game?
5. Any in-game secrets that could be easter eggs for players to discover?
6. Why do you consider Steam as a platform for your game and is there any other platform you look forward to get your game onto?
7. How much time did it take to get this game developed and what can players expect in updates for this game?
8. What are your future plans as a game developer?
9. How long have you been developing games and what is the most enjoyable aspect of game development according to you?
10. Have you developed the game solo or you have a team working with you?
11. What are your personal favourite games?
My favorite game is most probably Jagged Alliance 2, characters relation ships, humor, infinite possibilities with your mercs management and Arulco liberation made me replay that game a hundred of times…then Fallout 1 and 2, Fallout tactics for multiplayer, STALKER or Wastelands 1 and 2 and Gods will be watching, This War of mine, Papers please, Darkest Dungeon, Battle Brothers more recently…
12. Any message for our readers?
Almost Alive is an Indie game, it is challenging and will make you think while having high development standards like AAA games used to have in the 90’s. It’s not a game for everyone but that will and is already reaching people that are desperate with the actual game industry. To finish I will quote a player talking about Almost Alive :
“the art style of the game is unique, detailed, and it feels very credible in the holistic sense. the pencil-on-paper style of the character art achieves something few games ever have: it allows my imagination to create a more rich conception than most artists could draw.
it feels very much like an interactive comic book, with total player agency.”